Sugar Awareness Workshops and Talks
Brose UK car parts manufacturer and Leafie Health joint sugar awareness initiative focused on raising awareness of the sugars adults regularly eat and drink and the risks associated with excessive sugar consumption, including increased risk of obesity, weight problems, developing diabetes type 2, raised blood pressure and certain cancers, and tooth decay.
The majority of employees visiting the stands found that their own sugar consumption was far in excess of government health guidance and their own assumption of their sugar intake and agreed on key actions to take to cut sugar.
Sugars are an unnecessary and unhealthy source of calories. Cutting down sugar can help to:
- Prevent or reverse type 2 diabetes
- Control type 1 diabetes
- Prevent sharp spikes in blood glucose after meals, which can lead to weight gain as well as mood and energy lows
- Reduce risk of serious health conditions; high cholesterol, high blood pressure, some cancers and non-alcoholic liver disease
- Prevent dental cavities
- Help to lose and maintain healthy weight
- Reduce tiredness through the day
- Eliminate cravings and hunger and snacking between meals
- Improve mental clarity and memory
- Improve skin complexion
Slim people consuming too much sugar are just as susceptible to serious effects on health from ill health conditions in later in life.
Employees visited promotional stands to view sugar demonstrations, receive recipes and information leaflets, discuss hidden sugars in every day foods and sugar alternatives and to ask questions.