Cutting added sugar is the most effective way of reducing chronic disease.
The reasons to cut sugar are really simple:
- Too many children are eating too much sugar too often
- Regularly eating too much sugar increases risk of weight gain, serious ill-health, disease and tooth decay
Tooth decay is the number one reason that children are admitted to hospital in England
Type 2 diabetes and childhood weight problems are increasing.
- Sugar is everywhere, in our cereals, soups, yoghurts, snack bars, soft drinks, sauces and meals
- Many children aren’t eating enough of the foods that can keep them strong and healthy – nutrient deficiencies are becoming increasingly common.
- Children that eat healthily can benefit from stable moods, concentrate and achieve more
- Helping children to cook and enjoy a variety of food, not just sweet tastes, can teach important life skills – they’ll be able to look after themselves when they’re older
- Eating meals as a family means sharing positive family time together